BeamPro - Device Certificate Update
Each BeamPro system is implanted with a unique certificate at the time of creation. The certificate update process is typically pushed using the Beam infrastructure; however, a small subset of units did not receive the necessary update due to their status at the time of the release.
Below, you will find instructions for manually updating the device certificates using the SD card within you BeamPro. This procedure involves creating a bootable USB stick from which the BeamPro will boot.
Please note: These instructions are intended for BeamPro systems only and CANNOT be used for Beam Standard/Enhanced devices.
- • Computer with a stable internet connection
- • USB stick with a minimum 4 GB
- • USB mouse and keyboard
- • USB hub
- We’ve tested the procedure with an “Inland” USB hub which worked well; however, other USB hubs (ex: Amazon Basics) are incompatible for this procedure.
Step 1: Create a bootable USB stick
- Using your computer, download the Xubuntu 18.04.1 ISO image
- For your convenience, here's a direct link to the US mirror: http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/ubuntu-cdimage/xubuntu/releases/18.04/release/xubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
- Write a bootable USB Drive:
- Follow the link below for instructions for Windows, Ubuntu and Mac OS
Step 2: Delete Beam Certificates
- Remove the Beam from its charging dock
- Ensure your Beam is off by pressing the power button at the back of the base
- At the back of the BeamPro head, lift the tabs from the bottom of the hatch to remove
- Remove the SD card
- Insert the newly created USB drive and your keyboard and mouse into the USB hub
- Connect the USB hub into the USB connector at the back of the BeamPro head
- Power on the Beam by pressing the power button at the back of the base
- If after a few seconds, you see an “EFI Shell” message, this indicates that your USB hub isn’t compatible. Try a different USB hub.
- Within 30 seconds, you will notice the Xubuntu splash screen
- If the splash screen does not appear, begin again at step 1
- When the splash screen clears, the screen will display the following Xubuntu desktop options:
- Try Xubuntu OR Install Xubuntu
- Select Try Xubuntu.
- This action will prompt a new Xubuntu desktop
- Reinsert the SD card into the BeamPro.
- Notice that new items appear on the desktop, including a volume called RPD-STORE
- Double-click on the RPD-STORE icon
- Double-click on the config directory
- Once you’re inside the directory, right-click to open the context menu, and choose Open Terminal Here
- On that terminal type the following command:
sudo rm device.pem
- Press Enter when complete.
- Safely shut down the BeamPro by selecting the Power menu at the bottom-right of the main menu
- Select the Shut Down option
- When instructed, remove the USB stick from the USB hub, and press ENTER
- Remove the USB hub from the back of the BeamPro
- Finally, power off the Beam completely by holding down the power button for 5 seconds
- Replace the BeamPro back cover
- After 10 seconds, power on the BeamPro
- After a short time, a pairing key will display under the Connecting wheel
- Provide the pairing key to your Suitable Technologies Support representative to complete the pairing process